Wednesday, May 8, 2019

My Why



Why start a home-based business?
Anyone that knows me knows that I am NOT a salesperson. Heck, I'm not even a social person. So why on earth would I want to get into direct sales? The shortest answer to that question is...money. I wish that I was a philanthropic angel who got into selling chemical-free skincare and professional makeup for the joy of helping people feel good about themselves. But, while that is an amazing benefit, my primary motivation is money.
                   
Cody in his medic "battle rattle."

Image may contain: one or more peopleIn 2010 my husband was away at his National Guard weekend and had a heat stroke. A couple of years and some complications later, he became disabled to the point where he could no longer work. So we suddenly became a single-income household with two-person income expenses. It. Was. Rough. I am incredibly fortunate that between my experience and finishing my education, I was able to get promoted at work to a place that should be fairly comfortable, but lingering debt from years of medical bills and a single income has made things still feel tight.

No shower, but don't worry, there's lipstick.
My wonderful friend Kitty sent me an invitation to attend a Facebook event where four fabulous ladies talked about their journey with LimeLife. They talked about how they went from struggling with money to being able to quit their day jobs and make six figure salaries. As a numbers-nerd, I also tend to be a bit of a pragmatist. My first thought was, "sure, how much does it cost?" Because obviously the snake oil they were peddling must be a massive investment.

When I realized that the cost to get started was minimal and there were no ongoing fees or need to purchase inventory, my interest was piqued. Then I did some research and discovered not a community of competitive sales people who are worried about peers stealing customers, but a community of supportive, caring people who genuinely want you to succeed and are willing to share whatever they know that might help you get to the top. The wealth of information and training available was truly staggering. So I signed up. I decided that if there is an opportunity to ease the constant stress of financial strain, even if it takes me out of my comfort zone, I owe it to myself and my family to give it a try.

Me and My Fella
Of course, the dream would be being able to support my family while being at home with my boy, my fella,  and hopefully soon another baby or two. That seems like a distant dream, but sitting still isn't getting me any closer. I have done a lot of hard things in my life that seemed impossible: I got my black belt when I was 17, I ran a marathon, I gave birth to a human being (seriously, when I was pregnant, I was pretty sure this wasn't even possible), and I finished my Bachelor's degree while working full time... with a small child... with very little sleep. 

I'm not gonna lie, I'm still not a sales person. I have doubts and reservations about whether I can achieve the success  But I have discovered a huge network of people that are ready and willing to help me learn everything I need to know to be successful. I had a professor whose favorite saying was, "others that came before you were able to succeed, you are no less capable then they." I have the tools I need and the desire to be successful, so stick around and watch me work towards overcoming my own awkwardness and sharing some truly incredible products with people while making a little extra money on the side.

Best wishes,

~Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment